Drawn in 1694 by Vauban and flattened in 1704 to serve as a training area for Navy guards, this square was first named "Battlefield." Under laRévolution, she took the name "Freedom Square" because there planted the tree of the same name, a sign of a central location and very busy. It also rose to a guillotine ...
After the fall of Napoleon and during the Restoration, the tree was cut down in 1816. We then erected an altar of the Motherland and instead resumed his original name.
In 1890, the simple wooden platform installed in the center of the square was replaced by a bandstand: you had a daily listening to the music of the crews of the fleet and other infantry regiments. It was a great place to relax and also divertissementmais music education for children of the Third Republic.
At Christmas, the carnival was settling around and we could watch the show from the balustrades overlooking a muretin built by convicts.
It was only after the First World War as the one nicknamed " the kiosk place" took the name of US President Thomas Woodrow Wilson. He was then to pay tribute to the decisive role of the US in the war, Touten saluting his whirlwind tour December 13, 1918: boat arrived in Brest, he then went to Paris by train on a wagon covered with huge stars and stripes to go sign the Treaty of Versailles.
Thirty years later, under the German occupation, shelter replaced the kiosk. After the bombings of 1944, there were only ruins. Another booth at the sound of the most bizarre was built in the 1950s, reinforced concrete. But the one that Brestois nicknamed "mushroom" or "flying saucer" has so far not been as successful.